Представництво ООН в Україні оголошує конкурс на заміщення вакансії Environmental Specialist. Дедлайн - 23 жовтня 2018 р. (далі - англ.).
The ongoing conflict in eastern Ukraine has had a direct and highly negative impact on social cohesion, resilience, livelihoods, community security, and the rule of law. Recognizing the need to urgently address reconstruction, economic recovery and peacebuilding needs in areas affected both directly and indirectly by the conflict, in late 2014 the Government of Ukraine requested technical assistance and financial support from the international community to assess priority recovery needs. In late 2014, the United Nations, the World Bank and the European Union conducted a Recovery and Peacebuilding Assessment, which was endorsed by the Cabinet of Ministers in mid-2015.
In response to the situation, in 2016, UNDP has established a Project Office in eastern Ukraine with a view to consolidate and deliver the various recovery and governance projects through a comprehensive, area-based Recovery and Peacebuilding Programme (RPP) in five conflict-affected oblasts: Donetsk and Luhansk (Government Controlled Areas), as well as Zaporizhzhia, Dnipro, and Kharkiv oblasts. RPP frames UNDP’s interventions in Eastern Ukraine to address the recovery needs of conflict affected population and communities. The Programme has three components focusing on: (1) economic recovery and restoration of critical infrastructure; (2) restoration of governance and support to decentralization reform; (3) strengthening community security and social cohesion.
UNDP Ukraine invites applications from highly qualified and experienced Ukrainian professionals for the post of the Environmental Specialist, to provide capacity development support and technical assistance for local authorities and communities on successfully decentralised and participatory environmental protection, promoting a cleaner environment in the conflict affected areas.
This position falls under the project “Good governance and citizens engagement for justice, security, environmental protection and social cohesion in eastern Ukraine” funded by the Swedish International Development Agency, Government of Denmark and the Swiss Development Cooperation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator of the Local Governance and Decentralization Reform (LGDR) Component, the Environmental Specialist works in close cooperation with other programme staff to perform the following key tasks:
- Contribute to the assessment of guidelines, tools and resources to support the mainstreaming of Rio Conventions into regional sectoral policies, plans and ongoing programmes;
- Contribute to the identification of the main sets of Rio Convention mainstreaming activities selected from among the sectoral analyses for implementation at the regional or local level; facilitate development of the Guide on mainstreaming environment at conflict-affected territories;
- Contribute to creation of the strategic Regional Environmental Plans that should consider current and future environmental trends;
- Provide practical support to the Local Self Governance Bodies (LSGBs) to restore, expand, and automate pollution monitoring, control, and environmental reporting in the conflict area;
- Support public participation in the environmental impact assessments (EIA) at territorial level and raise awareness of LSGBs and CSOs on the legislation regulating EIA at that level as well as on current experience and successes achieved throughout the country;
- Develop participatory innovative strategies, and their budgets, focused on sustainable urban planning using the “Symbiocity” approach, integrated solid waste management, ecosystems management by the regional authorities and ATCs, renewable energy development, improved availability and quality of drinking water;
- Promote effective Public-Private Partnerships for the implementation of the environmental protection strategies in the Project’s pilot territorial units;
- Support LSGBs in ATCs and non-amalgamated communities (especially those along the contact line) to keep and update an inventory of the industrial and municipal facilities;
- Lead the dialogue between the local authorities and the largest industrial enterprises to expand the environmental activities;
- Contribute to increase the capacities of CSOs and citizens’ groups to effectively initiate, plan and implement initiatives aimed at protecting the environment through focused preparatory training as well as hands-on support to the design and realisation of community development projects;
- Contribute to increasing the level of awareness and information of territorial communities’ members on environmental safety with a specific focus on mine risk awareness and education, for communities located near the contact line and the existing legal and regulatory framework for hazard and crisis management;
- Prepare and conduct trainings, seminars, webinars using the international best practices and guidelines for the local authorities, environmental managers, students of colleges/ universities, journalists.
MEASURABLE OUTPUTS OF THE WORK ASSIGNMENT:
- Full and appropriate implementation of the assigned activities related to environmental issues in the context of decentralization;
- Results, experiences and lessons learned during implementation of the sectoral reform of the local Level of the Project disseminated at the national and regional levels;
- Reporting and quality monitoring activities completed.
PERFORMANCE INDICATORS FOR EVALUATION OF RESULTS:
- Respective sections of the annual work plan for the support to the successfully decentralised and participatory environmental protection, promotes a cleaner environment in the conflict affected areas;
- Activities addressing specific needs of the local population within assigned thematic area are fully and timely implemented;
- Funds delivery allocated for participatory environmental protection support activities reached 100%;
- Programme and Component activities are carried out in strict accordance with UNDP rules and procedures.
- People Management;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Strong expertise in Environmental Economics;
- Experience in analysing and designing national economic policies and development programmes;
- Familiarity with the Rio Conventions, International Conventions addressing Climate Change, etc;
- Ability to pick up new terminology and concepts easily.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
- Ability to implement project/programmes components for results, including the ability to translate strategic aims into achievable annual work plans; and prepare inputs to project/programme reports in a timely manner;
- Good interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to handle politically sensitive issues and establish partnership with government authorities, local authorities and CSO’s and within UNDP;
- Sound judgment and maturity to foster a positive work environment;
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team;
- Familiarity with national legislation in environment -related sphere;
- Demonstrated strong analytical, coordination and facilitation skills;
- Excellent usage of computers and office software packages.
Required Skills and Experience
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Environment-related field (preferably), Economics, Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, Social Sciences or other relevant areas;
- Minimum 3 years of proven knowledge and professional experience in the fields related to the environmental sector, incl. experience in environmental mainstreaming (planning and/or management, and/or awareness raising etc.), social policy development and analysis, project/programme coordination or related field;
- Proven experience in preparing recommendations, compiling materials and/or publications related to the Environment;
- Experience in working or cooperating with international organizations would be an asset, but not required;
- Proven writing skills (list of (or reference to) publications, joint research works, analytical papers) would be a strong asset;
- Fluency in Ukrainian, Russian is required, working level of English.
If you wish to apply for this or other positions with UNDP, please visit UNDP website, section jobs and apply only:
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 23 OCTOBER 2018.