Country Collaboration Initiative - Leadership Managemen & Governance/Ukraine (CCI/LMG-Ukraine) Open edX Distance Learning Platform Installation and Customization Support to the Ukrainian Center for Socially Dangerous Disease Control (UCDC) Scope of Work.
Total level of effort: up to 15 payable days
Period of Performance: July 25, 2016 - August 12, 2016
The global LMG project (implemented by Management Sciences for Health) is a five-year Cooperative Agreement, funded by USAID with the objective to support health systems strengthening by addressing the gap in leadership, management and governance capacity of policy makers, health care providers and program managers to implement quality health services at all levels of the health system. In mid-2013, the Leadership, Management and Governance (LMG) Project began to work with Ukrainian Center for Socially Dangerous Disease Control (UCDC), to build on the progress of other projects in strengthening UCDC’s capacity as a Global Fund PR, and to build the institution’s overall capacity as a major player in the Ukrainian health sector.
UCDC functions as one of the three Principal Recipients (PR) implementing a Single HIV and TB grant from the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM) for 2015-2017. With the MoH issuing order No. 604 as of September 18, 2015, UCDC is to become a core in the structure of the newly established Public Health Center. The LMG technical assistance efforts in Ukraine are focused on continuing the work with UCDC to strengthen their capacity (i) to be a strong PR under the Global Fund; and (ii) to be a strong institution managing the national HIV and TB programs in Ukraine (iii) to transform UCDC into a highly efficient Public Health Center.
In 2014 CCI/LMG-Ukraine jointly with UCDC developed a three-year UCDC Institutional Strategy, and a set of sectoral strategies, among which are Training Strategy and Plan, and Communications Strategy and Plan. As a part of implementing plan new UCDC website (ucdc.gov.ua) along with Facebook page and other social media were developed and launched.
In order to further strengthen UCDC’s training and communication capacity as a leading organization within the Ukrainian health system, LMG project in Ukraine will require a local consultant to work with UCDC on the implementation of the of the UCDC Training Strategy & Action Plan in terms of integrating Open edX distance learning platform to the UCDC website.
A target audience of training courses is medical staff of regional healthcare facility, with priority towards primary level. The estimated number of trainees per year is 1000 persons. The courses will be available throughout the year. However each course will be facilitated once per quarter. In order to receive certificate, users will need to take courses at the time when they are facilitated. The configuration of the platform should allow UCDC provide technical upgrade or upgrade of training modules as appropriate. Once a year training modules shall be assessed and renewed by UCDC subject to the needs. UCDC plans to have two levels of administration control accounts: one for the overall control of the platform (this account will have access to all data on the platform); and one for facilitating each course (the rights of this account would be limited to uploading and administering each training course). Yet UCDC would also seek advice of the service provider on the best practices of administration control rights.
The UCDC website is written on .php and operates on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit system. UCDC plans to install Open edX on the same server as website. The server has 40Gb capacity with unlimited traffic (see more details under “xVPS20” section on https://hostiq.com.ua/vps-hosting/).
Description of Services to Be Rendered
It is planned that the consultant will work with key UCDC staff members and LMG staff up to 15 payable days. No travel will be authorized. The consultant will be expected to render the following services:
- Hold an informational session to make UCDC aware of configuration options of the Open edX platform (that UCDC may not be aware of) and determine the specific options to be installed.
- Assess server capacity to ensure that Open edX platform can be hosted with existing software/hardware configuration (against a number of users taking courses simultaneously);
- Propose any changes in software/hardware configuration as appropriate;
- Discuss and advise UCDC on the number of administration controls accounts levels, as well as specific rights of each level;
- Install Open EdX platform to UCDC web-site;
- Integrate basic Google Analytics indicators with the Open edX platform;
- Customize Open edX platform according to UCDC brand book and overall website design (including logo, colors, texts and fonts, service pages, email templates) and CCI/LMG Branding and Marketing Plan;
- Configure security and backup options according to UCDC policies/requirements;
- Provide technical support for deploying one testing course;
- Provide Q&A, person to person support for 1 month and technical support in case of bugs.
- Information session report that outlines specific Open edX options to be installed;
- Server capacity assessment report;
- Open edX distance learning platform installed on the UCDC’s website and customized according to UCDC needs;
- Security and backup configuration set up;
- Basic Google Analytics indicators are being collected from the Open edX platform;
- Testing course successfully deployed and accepted by CCI/LMG-Ukraine and UCDC;
- Report on Q&A, person to person sessions submitted to CCI/LMG-Ukraine and UCDC;
- Final report with description of services rendered submitted to CCI/LMG-Ukraine.
Experience and Skills Required
- Academic background in IT-related field (a minimum of BA is required; MA preferred);
- Proven professional experience in Open edX platform installation and customization;
- Advanced knowledge and nuance understanding of Open edX platform installation and customization;
- Experience in server capacity assessment;
- Ability to deliver within limited deadlines;
- Ability to lead on several complex tasks;
- Fluency in Ukrainian and English.
In all of the above activities, the consultant will collaborate closely with all relevant UCDC staff members as well as with CCI/LMG-Ukraine staff. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter to Stanislav Sereda at ssereda[at]msh.org , and Mykhailo Rabinchuk at rabinchuk[at]ukraids.gov.ua by COB July 20, 2016.