I. Position Information
Job Title: UNV Communications Assistant
Modality: Intern (honorary)
Duty Station: Kyiv
Duration of the assignment: 3-6 months
Supervisor: UNV PA
Background: The UNDP internship programme offers an outstanding graduate-level student the opportunity to acquire direct exposure to UNDP's work with the objective of deepening his/her knowledge and understanding of UNDP’s goals, principles and activities. It is designed to complement development-oriented studies with practical experience in various professional aspects. Interns are not financially remunerated by UNDP.
UN Volunteers (UNV) is a global UN programme implemented through UNDP offices worldwide. Every year UNV provides a channel for about seven thousands of skilled professionals from 160 different countries to engage as UN Volunteers in some 140 developing countries. In Ukraine UNV deploys national and international volunteers for assignments in UNHCR, UNDP, UNFPA, UNICEF, WHO, WFP and other UN agencies. Besides, UNV contributes to volunteerism advocacy, creating enabling environment for volunteerism (improving legislation, enhancing national capacities etc.), integrating of volunteer component into peace and development activities.
Objective of the internship: Intern assignment is an opportunity to learn through experience and develop relevant professional and soft skills. It will provide young specialist with a way to meaningfully contribute to peace and sustainable human development results.
II. Organizational Context
Under the direct guidance and supervision of the UNV Programme Assistant, the Intern provides the support in carrying out the communication related activities of the UNV field unit in Ukraine ensuring high quality of work and timely service delivery.
III. Functions / Key Results Expected
Intern provides effective support to the UNV field unit in Ukraine and performs the following functions:
- Updates UNV web site, Facebook page and posts via UNV account in twitter;
- Supports planning and organizing UNV-led communication and outreach activities, including special events, communication campaigns and others;
- Drafts background information for UNV field unit when needed;
- Contributes to the development and production of communications products including publications, promo materials etc.;
- Drafts information notes and features for local distribution based on material received from UNV Headquarters;
- Involves and coordinates online volunteers through corporate online tool;
- Assist in managing the procurement process of communication materials;
- Provides other administrative support in various tasks.
IV. Impact of Results
Local UNV web site in Ukraine is timely updated and all its activities are covered online including social networks and twitter. Internal communication channel works well and UN volunteers are regularly updated on all UNV events, achievements and developments.
UNV field unit executes its planned daily activities in an accurate and timely manner demonstrating a high quality of its work and increased impact of its results.
- Demonstrates keen interest in the work of the UN, and of UNV in particular.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Strong academic background in communications, public relations, international development or other related field;
- Experience in administering web site through content management system is an asset;
- Experience in writing news, press releases, other communication materials as well as drafting background notes and planning effective communication campaigns;
- Experience in working with social media platforms;
- Experience in producing and working with photo (applying processing software);
- Proven capacity to collect, process and analyze complex data and information;
- Basic knowledge or practical experience in search engine optimization would be an asset;
- Skills in applying Google webmaster tools or other equivalent online monitoring and analytical tools would be an asset;
- Ability to effectively communicate with media, diplomatic community and government representatives;
- Understanding of the UNV mandate and specifics of its activities;
- Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines;
- Strong written and oral communications skills;
- Experience in working in an international environment;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude, pro-activity;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
VI. Required Qualifications
Education: Enrolled student of degree programme or completed 4 years of full-time studies in Journalism, Public Relations, International Relations or related field
Experience: Computer literate in standard software applications including MS Office. Skills in use of graphic processing software, web content management systems, online monitoring and analytical tools would be an asset;
Experience in administering web sites, social network groups or corporate pages, twitter account would be highly appreciated.
Language requirements: Fluency in Ukrainian and English
UNDP accepts no responsibility for the medical and life insurance of the intern or costs arising from accidents and illness incurred during an internship. Applicants for internship must therefore carry adequate and regular medical and life insurance. Proof of medical coverage/visa must be provided before the internship commences.
VIII. Application Procedure
Applicants for internships must submit the following documentation:
- UNDP Internship Application form (Annex);
- copy of the most recent CV in English;
- letter from his/her University confirming current enrollment and graduation date.
You can apply here.
Deadline: February 1, 2016
More details: http://bit.ly/1KEKvmf