International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX)
Position Title: Education and Culture Liaison
Program: Bibliomist (Global Libraries - Ukraine) Program
Division: Civil Society Division
Reports To: Capacity Development Coordinator
Position Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Grade Level: 3
Employee’s Name: TBD
Effective Date: March 2009
IREX is an international nonprofit organization providing leadership and innovative programs to improve the quality of education, strengthen independent media, and foster pluralistic civil society development.
Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of $50 million and a staff of over 400 professionals worldwide. IREX and its partner IREX Europe deliver crosscutting programs and consulting expertise in more than 50 countries.
Summary of Program:
The Bibliomist program will provide Internet facilities to public libraries across Ukraine and provide accompanying training and assistance with advocacy for enhanced library support and services. The program has been operating under a Planning grant. During this stage, IREX has been networking with a wide range of stakeholders to gain a clear understanding of how the national-scale program can be most effectively designed. The national program began in the fall of 2008.
Summary of Position:
IREX seeks a qualified professional to fill the position of Education and Culture Liaison for the Bibliomist Program, responsible for coordination of the project with government bodies involved in education and culture development, and for disseminating subject guides and other materials useful to the library community. Citizens of Ukraine are encouraged to apply. Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
Description of Responsibilities:
- develop strong working relationships and communication channels with responsible officials in the Ministries of Education and Culture, keep them informed about project activities, and solicit their input;
- keep other assistance programs related to education and culture informed about project activities and inform project staff and stakeholders about the activities of other assistance programs;
- working with the Impact Specialist, design and implement activities to meet education and culture-related indicators in the project’s comprehensive impact plan;
-Contribute articles about useful education and culture-related online resources to project newsletters;
- assist the Ukrainian Library Association in promoting reforms of teaching methods within the system of librarian education and training in Ukraine, increasing access to modern, interactive and effective methodologies;
- maintain a regular online forum dedicated to educational and cultural issues that is used regularly by large numbers of librarians;
- facilitate the acquisition of electronic methodological materials by the National Parliamentary Library to be posted to the library’s website;
- identify priorities, arrange copyright, and work with a translator to make useful existing English-language materials available in Ukrainian;
- organize nationwide contests and award ceremonies for achievements by stakeholders in the areas of education and culture;
- supervise a program assistant;
- perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of three years of experience working for an international NGO, in private sector or government
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, and the ability to communicate with local stakeholders to ensure the successful completion of project activities;
- Higher education in a relevant discipline;
-Familiarity with political, economic, and social issues in Ukraine;
- Experience working with information and communication technology in a development context;
-Advanced knowledge of MS Office applications;
- Strong command of spoken/written English and Ukrainian or Russian.
Please email your cover letter, resume, and salary history with “CSD/ECL/CG” in the subject line to [email protected] No phone calls please. Only complete applications will be considered. The position is available immediately, and candidates will be contacted on a rolling basis as applications are received.