The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is pleased to announce the launch of the call for applications for the Youth Event at the 7th Global Forum hosted by the government of Azerbaijan from April 25 to 27, 2016 in Baku.
Up to 150 youth from diverse cultural and religious backgrounds with outstanding track records in intercultural dialogue and youth work will be selected to participate in the Youth Event (April 25th), attend the Global Forum (April 26-27th) and thus contribute to the global narrative on social inclusion.
This unique international level opportunity for civic and intercultural participation is designed to give participants a chance to share their experiences, learn from each other, interact with key stakeholders and experts in their area of interest and network with a broader range of actors in the field of social inclusion and intercultural dialogue. The Youth Event will also have an online component with the aim of maximizing the exchange of ideas among participants and preparation for the actual event. Its outcome will be a series of Narratives of Tomorrow, which articulate youth’s vision for inclusive societies, building on the positive contributions youth are already making in this regard.
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- Age: Youth participants should be between 18-35 years of age during the entire 7th UNAOC Global Forum (born on or between April 28, 1980 and April 25, 1998).
- Organization: applicants must be members of (or affiliated with) non-government and non-for-profit youth-led organizations, networks, initiatives or movements (led by youth for the benefit of youth) and have the ability to consult with and reach a wider group of young people, audience or network.
- Previous participation: Young people who attended Youth Events at a previous UNAOC Global Forums are not eligible to apply again.
- Commitment: youth applicants must demonstrate commitment to diversity and pluralism, nonviolence, peaceful and inclusive societies. The organizations and networks represented should: Adhere to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the principles and values of the Charter of the United Nations; have internal democratic and transparent processes of leadership, decision-making and consultation; be independent, unaffiliated with any political party.
- Language: Command of English is sufficient to take part in the 7th UNAOC Global Forum. The applicant understands English very well; possesses intermediate to fluent levels of English, which allow her/him to participate to the conversation and input.
- Passport: the applicant holds an international passport valid until at least November 1, 2016. (For a visa to be issued, a passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of entry into Azerbaijan).
Costs covered by the participants:
As an official policy, the organizers of the 7th UNAOC Global Forum do not require payment of any participation fee. All selected youth participants will have access to the Youth Event and Global Forum and will be provided with round-trip international ticket (economy class) to Baku; 4 days accommodation (in shared accommodation [double-rooms], with a participant from the same gender, from April 24 through April 28, A.M. hours). Meals and coffee breaks will be provided during the official program of the Youth Event and the 7th UNAOC Global Forum, as well as shuttles to/from the airport in Baku.
Costs covered by the organizers:
Youth participants will be responsible for their transportation to and from the airport in their country of residence, visa costs (application fees, pictures, travel to consulate/embassy, courier service, etc.), medical insurance for their stay in Azerbaijan, as well as any incidental expenses, souvenirs, equipment, etc., and meals incurred outside of the official portions of the Global Forum.
Youth participants aged 18-35 will be selected on the basis of merit demonstrated through motivation, experience, relevance and potential.
In order to be considered complete and valid, application package must include the following and be submitted through the online application system available here:
- An application form, completed and certified by the applicant;
- A copy of the identification page of your international passport; an
- Your resume/curriculum vitae in English (maximum 3 pages).
Word/character limit for each question in the application form needs to be respected. The application system automatically counts words and characters.
The application deadline is January 17, 2016, 11:59 PM Eastern Time (New York).
For more details: http://apply.unaoc.org/