Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (9 months) with the possibility of extension
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Ukraine and direct supervision of the National Officer (Migration and Development), the successful candidate will contribute to implementation of IOM Ukraine economic recovery activities targeting Micro-, Small-, and Medium-Enterprises (MSMEs).
IOM Ukraine implements 30-months SME Boost project funded by KfW. The project aims to contribute to economic recovery and growth in Ukraine during and in eventual aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic through targeted support to MSMEs and migrants to alleviate poverty, mitigate unemployment and retain jobs. It will do so by creating a funding mechanism and online platform to provide consultations and support to entrepreneurs worst affected by COVID-19. The project will work with a diverse group of beneficiaries and offer Stimulus Packages tailored to the needs of affected businesses to adapt and recover from COVID-19 impact.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the National Officer (Migration and Development) in the overall planning, implementation, day-to-day management and monitoring of the project activities.
- Contribute to preparation and review of project reports to the donor and other stakeholders as required, draft regular project updates, identify and synthesize project’s good practices and lessons learnt, compile response to project-related queries, and develop other written outputs on project activities and results as may be required.
- Support the development of relations with all relevant stakeholders, including Governmental, non-governmental, business entities and academia through outreach and network-building, regular communication, meetings, and participation in various coordination fora as required.
- Identify synergies and opportunities, assist in building linkages with similar interventions, and provide substantive input to project presentation to external stakeholders.
- Contribute to the project’s visibility amplification of project results by preparing project’s visibility materials, drafting texts for social media as well as supporting other outreach initiatives.
- Manage conceptualization, establishment and running of the online project platform and the project-related funding mechanism.
- Proactively provide inputs, identify challenges and issues, recommend improvements and track follow-up actions in the planning and delivery of programme activities.
- Track relevant national and local developments pertaining to MSMEs sector, analyse, summarize and present findings.
- Undertake and lead the field visits as necessary.
- Contribute to development of Migration and Development portfolio of IOM Ukraine, by participation in relevant meetings and events, supporting project conceptualization and developing, liaising with state and non-governmental counterparts as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Master’s degree or higher in Economics, Public Administration, Management, Development Studies, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with no professional experience
- Bachelors degree or equivalent from an accredited academic institution in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in project conceptualization, development and management, project and budget monitoring, and reporting;
- Experience in economic empowerment, livelihoods and community development project implementation;
- Relevant experience and knowledge in results-based management.
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization;
- Excellent communication, presentation and networking skills;
- Strong team player, experience in supervising the teams, mentoring and coaching new staff is an advantage;
- Strong report writing skills.
Fluency in English and Ukrainian is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and commited manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
• Resource Mobilization: Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs.
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this special vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and security clearances.
A prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station and work permit, as applicable.
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications on IOM Personal History Form (https://iom.org.ua/sites/default/files/personal_history_form_2016.xls) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9 December 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement in the subject line of your message.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.