The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks. NRC requires staff members who travel on an international contract to the field to undergo an medical examination with our medical provider. Employees must produce a Health Clearance Certificate before departure stating that there are no relevant health concerns. If staff are unable to provide this, NRC reserves the right to terminate the Contract of Employment.
NRC Ukraine is looking for Monitoring and Evaluation Officer (Database) in our office in Severodonetsk or Kyiv.
Role and responsibilities
Brief Description of the Role
The M&E Officer (Database) is a member of the M&E Unit, under the supervision of the M&E Coordinator. The Database Officer will work closely with the members of the M&E Unit, Core Competencies specialists and other NRC Ukraine departments. The overall objective of the Database Officer is to be responsible for sets of data of CCs and operating in service to CC specialists and other NRC Ukraine departments. Also contributes to the development and execution of program’s need in terms of data in order to control, protect, deliver and enhance the value of data and information products. Data processing and analysis practices being used ensure consistency, comparability, and privacy of the data shared. S/he will also ensure that data processing and analysis steps are fully documented and replicable.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines;
- Adhere to National legislation and NRC policies regarding the administration, protection of private information, data protection and data-sharing;
- Implement delegated portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Contribute to the development, implementation, management and administration of databases and related procedures;
- Ensure efficient working relationships with a wide range of different interlocutors (Core Competencies, M&E Unit, including other NRC Ukraine department, NGOs, civil and military representatives);
- Act as a focal point/central instrument for the collection, analysis and dissemination of information relevant to the project activities;
- Responsible for ensuring data cleaning is conducted according to NRC standards and that meaningful statistical analysis and techniques are used to infer results from collected data;
- Provide support and assistance to projects for better use of data to target beneficiaries most in need, explore and assess better ways to assist through providing feedback to relevant specialists;
- Contribute to protection risks and needs analysis;
- Contribute to design of protection response to identified risks and needs.
- Create, upgrade, manage and maintain project and program-specific databases, spreadsheets and other data tools ensuring continual development and strengthening of the system;
- Provide regular advice/comments for staff on modifying databases and data management to meet the information needs of CC and improve reporting capacity ensuring to fill gaps through data if any;
- Ensure accurate and consistent data entry. Test databases, correct errors, clean up data and make necessary modifications, ensure timely updates, maintaining clear and complete databases for all Core Competencies;
- Ensure backups and data protection procedures of collected data, maintaining proper filing structures to ensure data integrity and availability;
- Contribute to donor and project/program reports, including but not limited to analysis of monitoring data (e.g. output and outcome), GORS, ITT, data on needs, gaps analysis, assessments, field reports, statistical, Power BI reports, etc.;
- Set up, manage and support roll-out of new CC databases and tracking systems, including provision of technical documentations and training the team on new database and data management procedures;
- Manage all the tracking procedures to ensure that aid is accounted for in compliance with NRC and donor requirements;
- Maintain accurate documentation of the Core Competencies project activities (e.g. monitoring data, assessments, compiling beneficiary records, tracking distributions, all cash and no cash transactions);
- Implement mobile data collection (MDC) system: development of forms required and their integration into data processing systems. Overall, ensure technical coordination of the process and deliver trainings on technical aspects on MDC (where needed);
- Contribute to the development and support of a new standardized approach in data management in NRC Ukraine;
- Support implementation and development of the data/information flow processes in the Country Office;
- Facilitate the preparing and provision of data visualizations as needed (e.g. maps);
- Other duties as assigned by the M&E Coordinator / Technical Officer (Information Management) or his designee.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Experience working at officer level in a humanitarian/recovery context;
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts desirable;
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities;
- Good command of spoken and written English;
- Fluency in Ukrainian and Russian is required.
Context related skills, knowledge and experience:
The following knowledge and skills may be acquired through a combination of formal schooling, self-education, and prior experience and on the job training:
- A bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Accounting, Statistics or related discipline (or equivalent work experience);
- Solid background in use of Microsoft Office software package. Advanced Excel skills - Power Query, V-lookups, VBA experience and Access skills;
- Knowledge of Power BI, Tableau or similar visualization tool;
- Knowledge of mobile data collection platforms e.g., KoboToolbox or other ODK-based including XLS form coding and troubleshooting;
- Knowledge of GIS packages (e.g. QGIS) is desirable;
- Experience in development and administration of database systems;
- Knowledge of managing data protection, including data encryption, user and group management, views, and security modes;
- The position requires a person who is self-starter, who can accomplish the tasks with little or no supervision. He/she must be diligent in paperwork, have integrity and be able to cooperate with field staff.
- Planning and delivering results – Ability to plan work and perform tasks within tight deadlines
- Analysing - Assessing needs quickly and accurately and examining consequences of different options by using NRC policies and relevant field experience. Having a strong capacity for absorbing large amounts of information, verifying critical elements and communicating conclusions rationally
- Communicating with impact and respect – ability to communicate and liaise with relevant staff as well as external actors as necessary
- Handling insecure environment
- Working with people
- Coping with change - Adapting well to a range of working situations, changing environments and different people, and accepting new ideas and necessary change
- Type of contract: till the end of the year, contingent upon availability of funds
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC salary scale, terms and conditions.
- Duty station: Kyiv or Severodonetsk, Ukraine.
While applying for the position please indicate preferable location in your CV - Severodonetsk or Kyiv.
For submitting CVs please follow the link - https://ekum.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1001/requisitions/job/3261/?keyword=NRC+Ukraine
Please note that we will contact only shortlisted candidates.
NRC retains the discretion to cancel the recruitment.
NRC might review applications before advert deadline, therefore interested candidates are encouraged to apply early.