National Consultant – GE and GBV policy development and coordination expert
UNFPA Ukraine with funding provided by the Government of Sweden is implementing the project “Equality Springboard: Project on Social Norms Change and Gender Stereotypes Elimination for Better Resilience and Prosperity of Women and Men in Ukraine”.
The project objective is to boost the process of social norms change and withdrawal from gender stereotypes in education, at work, at home and in the community life and create supportive environment and growing public demand for advancing equal rights and opportunities for women and men in Ukraine. It contributes to institutional and behavioural changes resulting in a more inclusive environment, increased gender sensitivity, reduced risks for domestic violence, and greater empowerment of women at work and at home.
The project is implemented in partnership with the Office of Vice-Prime Minister of Ukraine for European and Euro-Atlantic Integration of Ukraine, Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine as well as other government institutions, implementing partners from civil society and partners from the corporate sector. The project is an integral part of the UNFPA Country Programme for Ukraine for 2018-2022 and aligned to Government priorities outlined in the Action Plan on the implementation of the commitments of the Government of Ukraine under the international initiative “Biarritz Partnership for Gender Equality”.
This consultancy is required to achieve following outcomes of the Project:
Outcome 1. Adolescents and young men and women in Ukraine benefit from modernized education system free from discrimination and gender stereotypes and promoting equal opportunities in education and career choices.
Outcome 2. An increasingly supportive enabling environment is created for boosting gender equality and gender-responsive family practices through public campaigns and engagement of local communities.
Scope of work:
(Description of services, activities, or outputs)
Support the Office of VPM on European and Euro-Atlantic integration of Ukraine in development of high quality policy recommendation and coordination of multiple stakeholder actions required for implementation of the Action Plan on the implementation of the commitments of the Government of Ukraine under the international initiative “Biarritz Partnership for Gender Equality” as well as other Government programs aimed at enhancement of GE and combat GBV in Ukraine
The Consultant is engaged by UNFPA at the request of the Office of VPM as an independent specialist to perform the tasks in accordance with these terms of reference and in line with the conditions stipulated in the respective Individual Consultant Contract with UNFPA.
The fulfilment of the above assignment envisages the accomplishment of several specific tasks:
(1) To provide expert support and technical assistance to the VPM Office to develop and implement policies and action plans aimed at advancement of gender equality, response and prevention of GBV in line with international commitments of Ukraine.
Specific focus will be given to the (a) policies and actions to ensure the pervasiveness of the principles of gender equality, free from stereotypes career choice and non-discrimination in education; (b) combating domestic and gender-based violence; and (c) policies on equal opportunities for parental leave for fathers and mothers;
(2) To provide the VPM Office with expert support to enhance coordination between the government, CSOs, international partners required to develop and implement policies and action plans aimed at advancement of gender equality, non-discrimination in education, response and prevention of GBV in line with international commitments of Ukraine.
(3) To provide the VPM Office with expert support to implement multi-partner advocacy and communication actions and campaigns.
(4) Act as liaison between VPM office and UNFPA to ensure coordination, partnership and smooth implementation of the project: “Equality Springboard: Project on Social Norms Change and Gender Stereotypes Elimination for Better Resilience and Prosperity of Women and Men in Ukraine” as well as contribute to the project reporting.
(5) Provide other types of expert support to VPM as required.
The Consultant under guidance of the VPM office and in consultations with UNFPA CO will develop monthly detailed work plans and specify monthly deliverables.
Duration and working schedule:
The consultancy should begin as of the date of signing the consultancy contract and continue until 31 December 2021 unless otherwise agreed between UNFPA and the consultant in writing. The extension of the consultancy is possible subject to positive final evaluation. This is a full time job with a monthly rate applied.
Place where services are to be delivered:
Kyiv, Ukraine; with possible travel within Ukraine
Delivery dates and how work will be delivered (e.g. electronic, hard copy etc.):
The UNFPA office will be kept fully informed in advance about the work plan of the Consultant as agreed by VPM office, including all meetings, events, desk reviews, documents development by the Consultant. The Consultant’s work outputs will be delivered through electronic communications unless otherwise agreed by UNFPA and the Consultant. All duties should be performed within the agreed timeframes, with no delays.
Brief monthly progress reports in English along with certification of services acceptance by the VPM office should be electronically submitted by the Consultant to the UNFPA office via email firstname.lastname@example.org with cc: to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org on the last working day of each month worked. Any other work output documents should be submitted to the VPM office and UNFPA via email as they become available, but not later than the agreed deadlines. Any obstacles to the progress of works and/or anticipated deviations from the agreed timelines should be substantiated and communicated to the Supervisor well in advance, along with suggested remedies.
The payment schedule is on a monthly basis upon the achievement of agreed work objectives and based on certification by VPM office and as accepted by UNFPA.
The consultant will directly report to Deputy head of the VPM office for on European and Euro-Atlantic integration of Ukraine and work under overall guidance of the coordination and oversight of the UNFPA Equality Springboard Project Coordinator and UNFPA Programme analyst on GE.
Travel within Ukraine in accordance with scope of work
Required expertise, qualifications and competencies, including language requirements:
- A recognized advanced degree in Law, Education, Social Sciences, Public Administration, or similar fields;
- Knowledge of GE and DV / GBV regulations and social policy;
- At least 10 years of experience in public administration and education on regional and national levels;
- Previous experience of coordination and cooperation with governmental and non-governmental counterparts at national and regional levels;
- Previous experience in of policy development;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- MS Office;
- Languages: Ukrainian, English, Russian – required.
The UNFPA CO will provide necessary support services and equipment to the Consultant at all stages of the assignment as may be required by the nature of work.
Any remarks, proposals, complaints or claims to the Consultant regarding services being provided in line with these terms of reference should be submitted to the Consultant in writing within 10 days of submission of consultancy deliverables or reports by the Consultant. The scope of works to be performed by the Consultant under these terms of reference, as well as other conditions of the consultancy, could be modified, if required, through a written agreement between the Consultant and UNFPA.
The deadline for CVs submission – August 24 inclusively.
The email for CVs submission – email@example.com
Note for the applicant: the position title must be indicated in the Subject line of the email that contains the CV.