The EE Research Specialist will be actively engaged in all aspects of SAYARA's project delivery in the Eastern Europe region and must be willing to work as a member of, and occasionally lead, research teams.
Background: Sayara International is a global development company that specializes in rigorous research and innovative programming in conflict-affected and transitioning societies. Founded in 2003 and with more than 120 staff worldwide, Sayara is a leading organization providing services in monitoring and evaluation, socio-political analysis, strategic communication, governance, preventing and countering violent extremism, disinformation, migration, and youth and education. Our strength comes from our adherence to our core values, our unparalleled expertise in research methodologies, and the context-specific experience of our team members. We constantly innovate to create research designs that are customized to answer our clients’ questions.
Sayara’s Eastern Europe regional team operates from Ukraine, Poland, Georgia, and the Baltic countries. The regional team conducts projects in the Baltics and Eastern Partnership countries. We deliver services to clients around the world, including the United Nations (UNDP, UNOPS, UNFPA, UNHCR, UNICEF, UN Women), the European Union, governments (U.S., UK, France), universities, international NGOs, and other major donors. Headquartered in the Washington, D.C. region with local offices in Kenya, Sudan, Afghanistan, Lebanon, Colombia, Ukraine, and France, Sayara is responsive to client needs in complex environments through local expert knowledge and an ethical, evidence-based approach.
Position Description: The EE Research Specialist will be actively engaged in all aspects of Sayara’s project delivery in the Eastern Europe region, and must be willing to work as a member of, and occasionally lead, research teams. The selected candidate must demonstrate high aptitude for successfully completing all stages in the research process. They should have a proven track record of taking ownership of all aspects of research project management, writing proposals, developing research questions, designing questionnaires, research instruments and population samples, managing fieldwork, analyzing quantitative and qualitative datasets, writing reports in English on research findings, and presenting the results directly to clients. The Research Specialist will report to the Eastern Europe Regional Director.
- Conduct literature reviews; draft concept notes and inception reports
- Lead, plan, coordinate assigned projects in a timely manner
- Conduct fieldwork (KIIs, FGDs, etc.)
- Analyze data: including statistical analysis and qualitative analysis
- Quality control of field teams collecting data
- Write analytical reports
- Support proposal development
- Prepare research instruments: Key Informant Interviews, Focus Group Discussions Guide, Survey Questionnaire, M&E Frameworks
- Maintain accurate records of interviews, safeguarding the confidentiality of subjects, as necessary
- Summarize interviews
- Manage and respond to project-related emails
- Coordinate work with the field team
- Attend project meetings
- Attend area seminars and other meetings as necessary
- Prepare progress reports for the clients
- Prepare other articles, reports, and presentations
- Minimum master’s degree (BA with significant relevant prior experience may be considered) in social science, political science, international affairs, development, or another relevant field
- Strong qualitative and quantitative research skills, and experience of designing and managing mixed methods research in support of practical outcomes in a volatile environment
- Strong quantitative data analysis using SPSS or similar statistical software, including multivariate analysis
- Strong qualitative analysis including use of qualitative analysis software
- Experience conducting fieldwork and applying research to support practical outcomes
- Experience writing user-friendly, evidence-based reports for use in development programs
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation (humanitarian work and/or development programs)
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision and to consistently meet deadlines
- Ability to work long-hours when needed and to take on tasks that may be outside of the express terms of reference
- Strong commitment to high quality work and integrity in all interactions
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to engage appropriately with various audiences
- Excellent English language writing skills (a writing exercise will be part of the interview)
- Fluency in a relevant local language (Russian, Ukrainian, Latvian, Georgian, etc.)
Location & Travel: Sayara seeks a candidate currently based in eastern Europe. The candidate should have legal authorization to work in the country where they propose to be located. Travel throughout the region may be required.
Duration: The Research Specialist will be offered a one (1) year Employment Contract, with a four (4) month probation period and the option for renewal, based on the discretion of, and mutual agreement between, Sayara and the Research Specialist.
Application Process: Please submit your detailed CV with up to date contact information, as well as a list of any professional publications via email to jp@SayaraInternational.com. Please use “EE Research Specialist” as the subject line of your email. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Do not submit a writing sample – writing samples will be requested of finalists only.