Under the guidance and direct supervision of OCHA Ukraine Deputy Head of Office, the Executive Assistant works in support of and in close collaboration with all OCHA staff based in Ukraine, in particular Front Office to support effective and efficient functioning of the office, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures and organization of office information flow. The Executive Assistant works closely together with the United Nation’s Resident Coordinator’s Office, UNDP, other UN Agencies, humanitarian partners and national authorities to ensure an efficient flow of information from the OCHA Ukraine’s office.
Summary of Functions
- Support to the effective and efficient functioning of the OCHA office
- Effective communications and administrative support to the office
- Facilitation of knowledge building and management
Supports effective and efficient functioning of the OCHA office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Management of the OCHA office, ensuring an environment of professionalism and teamwork at all times, and setting exemplary standards of conduct for the OCHA team;
- Telephone and reception functions;
- Efficient and discreet management of Head of Office (HoO) and Deputy HoO schedule;
- Assist and provide secretariat support to the Head of Office on bilateral and interagency meetings as required, including organization of regular and ad-hoc meetings, organization of venue, sending out invitation and agenda, sending out of minutes, reception of guests, etc.
- Screening of all incoming communications, filter outgoing correspondence for supervisor’s signature, clearance and further action by other staff; wherever possible;
- Adherence to appropriate protocol and correspondence guidelines when communicating with Government and other external partners.
Effective communications and administrative support to the office:
- Set up and maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials;
- Opening of new subject files as required and disposal of old files in accordance with the established retention schedule;
- Maintenance of contact lists;
- Coordination of the information flow in the office and dissemination of corporate and interoffice communication to staff as required;
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to the HoO;
- Draft routine correspondence, interoffice circulars, general briefing notes, documents,
- reports, and minutes of meetings when requested, translations when required;
- Support travel arrangement of HoO and Deputy HoO, including logistics matters;
- Processing travel authorization in line with travel entitlements, ensuring that the travel arrangement follow the UN rules of most direct route and most competitive prices;
- Arrangements for security clearance when required;
- Hotel reservations for visiting OCHA officials;
- Arrangement for airport pickup of high-level officials and support to expediting of customs and immigration procedures, as necessary.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Organization of trainings for OCHA staff on coordination, administration and protocol issues;
- Performing any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Client Orientation Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Maintains effective client relationships;
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Fundamental knowledge of own discipline;
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Planning and Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required;
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Uses time efficiently.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a broad range of activities aimed at supporting an effective and efficient functioning of the office, including data/ schedule management, maintenance of protocol, information flow;
- Keeping full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education. Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, International Relations, Administration, Philology/Linguistics, Social Sciences or related field is desired but is not a requirement.
- 5 years (with secondary education) or 2 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of progressively responsible experience in secretarial or office management, administration, programme support, support in coordination or other related field is required.
- Familiarity with UN system and the field of humanitarian affairs is an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), experience in handling of web-based management systems is desirable.
- Fluent written and spoken English, Ukrainian and Russian.
If you wish to apply for this or other positions with UNDP, please apply online: