Global Communities, formerly CHF International, is an international non-profit organization that works closely with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable.
Global Communities is seeking a qualified and experienced Civic Engagement Expert for USAID Decentralization Offering Better Results and Efficiency (DOBRE) program.
This program strengthens local governments in newly consolidated communities to effectively manage resources and services that respond to community priorities and improve citizen engagement and oversight in local governance.
Since 2016 the program have been working with communities in seven oblasts of Ukraine - Dnipro, Mykolaiv, Kherson, Kharkiv, Kropyvnytskyi, Ternopil, and Ivano-Frankivsk. In 2020 the program was extended to scale up DOBRE approaches from seven oblasts to three new oblasts – Chernivtsi, Chernihiv and Zaporizhia.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Civic Engagement Expert will lead and coordinate activities related to DOBRE’s Objective 2: Improved Citizen Engagement and Oversight in Local Governance, preparing citizens and civil society organizations to engage in new opportunities for local development. This will be done directly and indirectly through Program Officers located in regional offices in Dnipro, Ternopil, Ivano-Frankivsk, Mykolaiv, Kropyvnytsky, Chernivtsi, Chernihiv and Zaporizhia.
- Work closely with partner organizations and competitively-selected regional CSOs to increase citizen capacity for government oversight.
- Identify and disseminate best practices in citizen engagement to citizens and local officials.
- Provide technical expertise on citizen participation for the incentive grant fund.
- Oversee training of trainers to build capacity for CSOs and citizens to analyze local government processes and engage with local government.
- Ensure engagement of women and youth in local government affairs.
- Design and implement anti-corruption activities for CSOs.
- Work with partners to develop online anti-corruption tools and institute a robust communications campaign.
- At least 10 years of experience in strengthening citizen participation at the local level.
- Successful track record in advising local governments and civil society on citizen engagement and participation, including methodologies for oversight of local government.
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with civil society, local government officials, civic leaders, media, business people and international donors.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Must have a Master’s Degree in a relevant field.
Must have professional-level English, both written and oral. Ukrainian and/or Russian communication skills preferred. Must be able to read and interpret documents, and communicate with others as necessary to perform job duties effectively.
Able to sit at a computer and operate a keyboard, for extended periods of time. Must be able and willing to frequently travel domestically to regional offices and program sites.
CVs and cover letters should be sent to UkraineHR@globalcommunities.org by
COB September 18, 2020 indicating position title in the subject line.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Interviews may be conducted on a rolling basis.